|Use Cases||Display external data in model-driven apps, represent data in tables in Dataverse without replicating the data.|
|MS Docs||Virtual Entities|
Virtual Entities is a feature in the Power Platform which makes it possible to display data from other systems in our model-driven apps without having the data stored in Microsoft Dataverse.
The concept of Virtual Entities consists of a Virtual Entity, a Data Source and a Data Provider. Either you can use one of the two built-in data providers (an OData v4 provider or an Azure Cosmos DB provider), or you can develop a Custom Data Provider if your source requires that.
Now with support for CRUD! Sample: Custom virtual table provider with CRUD operations
The July 2017 update for Dynamics 365 (online) introduced Virtual Entities. The upcoming Release Waves after that did not bring any news whithin this area, but during a session at eXtreme 365 Matt Barbour said "Virtual Entities are not dead". In the 2020 Release Wave 1 plan it was presented that Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations entities will be available in the Common Data Service as Virtual Entities. In July 2020 at Microsoft Inspire Vitural Entities was on the map again when it was included in Charles Lamanna's session Build agile business processes with the Power Platform – Focus on CDS, Power Apps, Power Automate + RPA and it was included in the Roadmap for Key Capabilities for 2020/2021.
- Virtual Entities Get started with virtual entities
- Microsoft Power Platform integration with Finance and Operations
- Dynamics 365 Human Resources Configure Dataverse virtual tables
- Finance and Operations entities in Microsoft Dataverse as Virtual Entitites in the 2020 Release Wave 1 Plan
- Create and edit Virtual Entities Take a look at the On-Premises documentation to get a better understanding for the overall process
- Virtual Entities Blog Post from Microsoft 8th of September 2017
VE now with support for CRUD!
- Custom Virtual Tables: Perform CRUD operations to another system by Allan De Castro 2021-04-05
- Adding CRUD to Virtual Entities by Alex Shlega 2021-04-03
- CREATE/UPDATE/DELETE VIRTUAL ENTITIES by Mark Carrington 2021-04-02
- Series of Articles about Virtual Entities by Temmy Whayu Raharjo 2021-03-05
- Virtual Entities Revisited: using embedded canvas app for updates by Alex Shlega 2020-12-06
- Virtual entities revisited: setting up a virtual entity by Alex Shlega 2020-12-06
- Virtual entity revisited – let’s see how far we can push them by Alex Shlega 2020-12-05
- Direct Query SQL Virtual Entities by Michael Ochs 2020-08-15
- Virtual Entities for Finance and Operations in Common Data Service by Sami Pappila 2020-07-28
- CDS Virtual Entities with Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations by Aurélien Clere 2020-07-01
- Virtual Entities - Series of 4 Articles by Carina Claesson 2020-01-19
- Virtual Entities - Series of 4 Articles by Imran 2019-09-08
- Virtual Entities - Series of 3 Articles by Ivan Ficko 2018-09-30
- Dynamics Virtual Entities – ODATA V4 Data Source – Using Request Parameters by Simaranjit Bhalla 2018-08-19
- Using Virtual Entities to query metadata by Natraj Yegnaraman 2018-06-14
- Virtual Entities for tracking recently used items by Natraj Yegnaraman 2018-05-19
- Dynamics 365 working with the Virtual Entities by Alex Shlega 2017-10-30
- Interact with data from external systems using the new virtual entities by Jesper Osgaard 2017-09-08
- Virtual Entities in Dynamics 365 by Bob Guidinger 2018-03-11
- French HowTo #9 - Dynamics365 F&O CDS Virtual Entities in French, by Aurélien Clere